Thanks to PhoenixGMN.com for allowing us to publish & enhance contents of their original guide here: http://www.slideshare.net/phoenixgmn/phoenixgmn-how-to-go-about-an-app-idea-guide. You can register with - Appsjunction.net - A global online networking platform to find local iOS developers or Android Developers to get a rough idea from them about how much will it cost Or post a freelance project for free to get revenue share quotes. Within Appsjunction.net we are launching soon a marketplace for buying & selling of readymade App Code of Superhit App Ideas which you can get enhanced by freelance app developers. Following and more expert insights like this is often shared with audience at popular Appsjunction meetup in London.
In a real world, you will need to hire devs/freelancers for money and get it built and then launch it. You should also have some money to promote your app post launch. Following is the list of major stages you will go through.
1. Got an App Idea? now what? - Preparations before you speak to an App Developer
- Research via Google and other sources like App Stores/App review sites, whether the same/similar idea is already done or not. With Millions of Apps already on App Stores chances are 9/10 ideas are already done.
- Always do competition analyses about similar apps. Note down what competition is doing well. Improvise on it.
- If no one has done it before then do a verbal survey with friends, colleagues and family. Share whatever part of idea you can, but do it. Find from them whether it appeals to diverse groups of people or not. Effort at this stage can save you lots of time and money later. Don't worry about keeping your idea secret. To be honest, the person who delivers you a coffee at starbucks has 50 ideas of his own. An idea is worth not much. You can't protect it legally using a NDA. Everyone around us has 50 or more app ideas. So before you spend tons of money and time, share it with people and see if they are excited. Or take their feedback and improvise your idea. Best advice we have is, start a crowd funding campaign for your idea and see how many people like it. If your friends and family are not donating even £5 for your idea then most probably majority of population won't download and use your App in its current concept. Change or improvise the concept.
- Make sure your idea solves a real problem for most people. Its not something which just you fancy.
- Make sure that your idea has repeat-use appeal. If its an entertaining idea make sure you add novelty in it on every use e.g. Gamify it. Most crazy fun ideas go popular for a month or so and then are forgotten. They have one time appeal/surprise/attraction.
- Look in the apps you use everyday and repeatedly. Find what you like in them. Do they save time? Make a task more efficient? Better organised? New fun everyday? Add those elements in your idea.
- Please don’t carry your idea just in you head. Start articulating it on paper. Brain storm it. Add sections like research, feedback, competition analyses, gamifications features, revenue generating options, Marketing & Promotions plan in it.
- When you are satisfied with your research & brain storm and have nothing more to add to your app idea document then start making a features list and start prioritising it into versions. Don’t add too much in Version 1. Keep It Simple – Keep It Appealing – Keep It Useful. (KIS-KIA-KIU) - Originally proposed by Navin Arora
- Once you have version 1 features list sorted. Start making a requirements specification document. It should have Table of Contents, Introduction to idea, Functionality with High Level requirements and tables of detailed requirements for every High Level requirement. Label the requirements with “Must Have”, “Should have”, “Could Have”, “Would be nice to have”.
- Now you need to make wireframes of your app idea to show a user journey inside the app. These can be hand made sketches, or made using Wireframing & prototyping tools like Balsamiq, Creately.com, justinmind, Sketchy for iPad, Flinto, Moqups etc. Give every screen a Number and then refer to these numbers in your specifications document. Here is a list of popular & precious time saver tools and websites which can help you in your App startup journey.
- You also need to study a little about SDKs (facebook/twitter), XML, JSON, CMS, Cloud, Analytics, Push, T&Cs, Data Protection Compliance, web services, database, any licensed/paid services you need in app, a web server & launch site. Web Server should be capable of sending push notifications to devices.
- You will also need a Business License with App Stores to submit the app and with Mobile Ad Networks for earning ad revenue. If your App Developer submits the app then in-App revenue will be paid to him (or agency) by app stores and ad networks.
Text Advertisement: Checkout some really cool apps from SuperHitApps.com to make you smile and help you find interesting & like minded people to meet. The more people you meet and more social you are, more opportunities will flow in your life and more happy & successful you will be in every matter of life.
- 365lovebumps.com - #1 valentine/anniversary gift - feel loved everyday of the year!
- PoshCrowd App - Date really rich guys who can treat you like a princess.
2. Hiring an App Developer - What you need to know
- To save time and money, Google about app developers with good portfolios in your local city. But if you have made your documents well, then even a remote developer can do a good job. In Internet connected economy, with skype/google hangout and various free screen sharing tools its not difficult to work with remote developers. All big companies do that. Checkout this very helpful guide about how to find a good iOS or Android or Win Phone Developer. If your idea is a bigger scale idea and you are looking to register a startup company and find a CTO/tech co-founder then we highly recommend you read this guide first Guide: Do you really need a CTO or Tech Co-founder and what the roles actually mean in a startup?
- Decide which OS platform first, iPhone, Android, WinPhone, Blackberry according to your target audience market.
- Decide - to workw ith a Single developer or a Trusted App Developer Company with multi OS skillset?
- To save time and money, Google about app developers with good portfolios in your local city. But if you have made your documents well, then even a remote developer can do a good job. In Internet connected economy, with skype/google hangout and various free screen sharing tools its not difficult to work with remote developers. All big companies do that.
- Decide who’ll provide the actual design graphics used in app – You, Your designer (99designs.com) or App developer/Agency?
- NDAs signed? Code Ownership & IP agreements signed?
- A typical Server Linked App's tech components are show below
- An App ideally needs 3 different programmers – DB Admin, Web Services (PHP), iPhone/Android. Decide on dealing directly with DB, Web Services, in-device programmers or One Good English Speaking App Development Project Co-ordinator. Do you have any previous experience with Geeks? if not, we recommend dealing with a Project Coordinator who further can translate your requirements to developers/coders.
- Agree on development milestones for payment to provider.
- Maintain regular communication with Devs and test app every week. Provide written feedback. Keep a trail.
- PhoenixGMN.com which provided this guide, has published a sample of their typical rate list for App Development Work : MVP/Prototypes from £1500*, App UX design from £400, Explainer Videos from £500, App Promotion & PR Packages from £500, Great Quality Business Plan from £300, App Launch websites from £300, 2nd OS App for 60% cost of first OS App, Advice to make & publish an awesome app - FREE. You can check their portfolio at SuperHitApps.com & their web & mobile development proposal here. Note: *Depending on Specs can MVP can cost from £1500-£10000.
3. Promoting an App - the basics
- To save time and money, Google about app developers with good portfolios in your local city. But if you have made your documents well, then even a remote developer can do a good job. In Internet connected economy, with skype/google hangout and various free screen sharing tools its not difficult to work with remote developers. All big companies do that. Checkout this very helpful slides
- Without promotion your app will be like a needle in a haystack.
- Get a good launch site done with a great YouTube video. Launch site themes available at http://themeforest.com or try http://strikingly.com or http://designmodo.com/generator/. Checkout two launch sites at http://uinterestme.com and http://poshcrowd.com. two good examples of explainer videos can be found at UX & Video section/menu of http://superhitapps.com
- Attend Apps related events, demo it to peers, get feedback.
- Talk about it on facebook/twitter/Linkedin/Google+ yourself. Ask friends to join. Ask them how many times they use it every week.
- Submit your App Details to app review websites.
- Join Ad networks which provide a tap for a tap. E.g devs cross promote an app in each other’s app adverts.
- Pay for Google or facebook adverts, in-App Adverts.
- Check app store feedback, improve & fix it. Prepare for version 2
4. How Appsjunction.net and PhoenixGMN.com can help you here
- First you will need to figure out, how much will it cost to get it built. For that you will need to prepare proper app specs and wireframe drawings of screens, only then you can get a ball park figure about how much it will cost in time and money because the cost heavily depends on number of screens, elements on a screen and how to submit or show data in the App. Instructions on App specs and wireframes are given below. You may also contact Phoenix Infomedia - A leading Apps Development Partner for Startups - CTO in 5 plus startups to be your Tech Co-Founder - if you idea is great then they can consider it be your CTO/Co-founder on equity sharing basis provided you & they share the cost of development on exact same equity share ratio. With project coordination offices in London, U.S., Singapore and Development Centre in New Delhi, India they have done more than 100 Apps and some of their coolest apps can be checked at portfolio site SuperHitApps.com
- Once the app specs are ready, you can use our online networking platform to find local iOS developers or Android Developers, to get a rough idea from them about how much will it cost. Or you can post a project in our freelance App developers section and get standard quotes as well as revenue share quotes from trusted and reviewed freelancers.
- Once you have an idea of its cost, add 15-25% to the quote to come up with a money figure you would need to get it built. Now you can either arrange the money yourself, from friends & family or raise it from people using our App Idea crowdfunding platform. We have provided awesome guidelines to make your crowdfunding campaign successful. You can offer free app download or in-app credits or rewards to your funders. This is also a great way to market test your idea before you spend even a penny on it.
- Once you have secured the money, you can again use your freelance App developers to post a new project or select the best quote you received when you posted the idea to get an estimate of the costs of its development.
- Kick off your project as per below guidelines, stay in regular touch with your developer and when launched, use our Appsjunction Exclusive: 48 top tips & tricks of app promotion on small budget guide to promote it.
- We have provided some really useful guides in our Popular Guides section to help you all along the way.
We hope you liked the content compiled for you above! Please do tweet/share it! Content Editors/Sponsors: PhoenixGMN.com is a full stack mobile app & web development services provider with project management offices in London & Singapore and Web Development Centre in New Delhi, India. We can be your tech co-founder depending on the technology needs of your startup. We are the technology provider for global crowdfunding and networking/marketplace web portals like Appsjunction.net and Highly Recommended App development partner for 80+ apps showcased at SuperHitApps.com. We also provide App explainer videos, launch sites and online marketing + SEO packages. *Depending on specs MVP can cost from £1500-£10000
You may signup at http://appsjunction.net to hear about our latest Blogs & Guides, and stay at the top of your game. If you have an app idea , why not post a project here and see freelancers sending you quotes (including revenue share quotes) for it. You may also be able to raise funds for it via our crowdfunding platform. List your apps in our App showcase for Free Promotion or if have an existing App/Game and want to sell it, then you are most welcome to sell it in our marketplace.
We hope you liked the content compiled for you above! Please do tweet/share it!
Content Editors/Sponsors: PhoenixGMN.com is a full stack mobile app & web development services provider with project management offices in London & Singapore and Web Development Centre in New Delhi, India. We can be your tech co-founder depending on the technology needs of your startup. We are the technology provider for global crowdfunding and networking/marketplace web portals like Appsjunction.net and Highly Recommended App development partner for 80+ apps showcased at SuperHitApps.com. We also provide App explainer videos, launch sites and online marketing + SEO packages. *Depending on specs MVP can cost from £1500-£10000